PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

DIY Reusable Produce Bags



A few Christmases ago my girlfriend gave me a bunch of reusable produce bags.
Well fast forward to this past weekend and I found myself down to two bags.
And when 90% of your shopping happens in the produce section they come in real handy.

So when I got home I gathered up a few things I had around to make some more.
What you will need:
- tulle fabric, stiffer the better {thats what she said} sections cut in 9 1/2in x 13in two for each bag, I folded mine so my two pieces were already attached at the bottom
- twine or thin ribbon
- sewing machine
- scissors


I sewed up both sides of the bag 1/4 inch in.


Then laying the twine down and then turn the top over.


Then cut a small hole on the each side of the seam on one side to pull the twine through.
So the cord ends inside the bag. Then sew the fold over down all the way around.  


Turn inside right, tie the ends of the twine together and BAM you have reusable produce bags.



Now run off to Wholefoods or the farmers market and dazzle all crunchers people around you when they ask where you got your bags, and say, "Oh these? Just a little something I whipped up."
PS: would make a great housewarming gift, filled with fun little household items.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Mycharmingcolors said...

You never cease to amaze me with your craftiness! Now only if I could sew :-)

Jenni said...

Awesome idea! I am a beginner sewer but I think I can do this! Is tulle hard to work with? Nice TWSS reference, too. Never gets old!

Maria Naccarato said...

Hi. Do they hold up if you put them through the washing machine? Thanks!

Amy H. said...

Maria I would just hand wash with a very little dish soap and warm water, rinse and air dry. Hope that helps!